(Weekly Organ of the Communist Party of India (Marxist)
September 19, 2010
ALL-PARTY MEETING ON
Left Demands Initiation of Political Process
THE representatives of the Left parties,
namely Prakash Karat (CPI-M), A B Bardhan (CPI), Debabrata Biswas
Prasanta Mazumdar (RSP), who spoke at the all-party meeting on Kashmir,
1) They expressed their sorrow and anguish at the death of more than 80 people in the police firings in the valley in the past three months. They called for a halt to the method of policing which had led to the deaths of a large number of people due to firing. There should be a distinction made in handling the stone pelting crowds and tackling the violence by the militants and terrorist activities.
2) Many of the young men in jail, arrested during this period, should be released if they are not facing any serious charges. Steps should be taken to provide relief for the large number of people injured and those permanently incapacitated.
3) Measures should be taken for providing economic relief for the continuous disruption of business and economic activities in the valley, with special emphasis on providing employment.
4) There should be accountability
for the security forces. Action should be taken on the excesses and
rights violations. The army is not deployed or in use in various areas.
the question of amending the Armed Forces Special Powers Act, the
Areas proclamation must be revoked from
5) The political process should
begin and dialogue should be initiated with all sections in the state.
purpose, an all-party delegation should be sent to