(Weekly Organ of the Communist Party of India (Marxist)
October 11, 2009
Condemn Abominable Imperialist Conspiracy Against Palestinians
parties from 39 countries
participated in the discussions at the extraordinary meeting of
Workers Parties in solidarity with
deliberations of this extraordinary meeting
assumed greater significance in the background of various statements
The host party issued a press communique containing the concrete proposals of solidarity on behalf of the meeting (see box). It was decided that the final statement of the meeting will be issued shortly on the basis of consultations with all the parties.
The interventions, however, contained a commonality which are reflected in the following:
1. A complete Israeli withdrawal from the Arab territories occupied since June 5, 1967-the West Bank, Gaza Strip, East Jerusalem, the Golan Heights and South Lebanon, according to various UN resolutions including 242 and in consonance with international law which prohibits acquiring territory by force.
recognise the rights of the Palestinian people to
self-determination and to establish its independent state with
dismantle the Israeli settlements built in the
Palestinian territories and the
4. To dismantle the Apartheid Wall in conformity with the resolution of the International Court of Justice, to give back the confiscated land to its owners and to compensate those owners for physical as well as other losses.
annul all the procedures taken to Judaize East
Jerusalem, to restore East Jerusalem to its pre-occupation state-East
immediately lift the inhuman siege of
release Palestinian and Arab prisoners detained in
occupation jails including Palestinian prisoners from areas occupied in
There are about 11 thousand prisoners, besides the Syrian prisoners
8. To implement the United Nations resolution of 194 of 1948 which resolves that Palestinian refugees have the right to return to their villages of origin and their property they deserted in 1948, and to demand that the international community-represented by the United Nations, designate a plan and a mechanism ensuring the return of those refugees, providing them with houses, integrating them with the society and compensate them for material and moral losses they suffered during the Nakba years.
dismantle the apartheid regime in
10. To remove all foreign military bases from the region all fleets and weapons of mass destruction including the Israeli nuclear arsenal, make all the states in the region, including Israel commit to eliminate all nuclear weapons and weapons of mass destruction, open the Israeli nuclear reactors for inspection by representatives of the International Nuclear Energy Agency, in compliance with the United Nations relevant resolutions.
reassert the role of the UNIFEL in supporting the
Lebanese army in south
participants urged for a
greater unity among the Communist and Workers Parties
in the Arab States particularly amongst the
different factions of the Palestinians.
This is of utmost importance in achieving success against the
The Arab national liberation movement has great resources and capacities which can enable it:
· to build a wide ranging solidarity movement;
· to build on its economic capacities for the benefit of the peoples of the Arab nations;
· to escape from the grip of economic, social and cultural backwardness;
· to spread the spirits of enlightenment and secularism;
· to democratise the political life and to strengthen the role of the Left in the Arab national liberation movements.
September 30, the
participants visited the UN supervised
buffer zone in the
strategically located area
is the main source of water in the region.
This is one of the reasons which
area has been inhabited for
millennia from the Palaeolithic age. It
played a vital role in many ancient civilisations, Amorites (2250 BC),
Arameans, the Assyrians, Caldeans and then the Persian and Hellenistic
Empires. The site of the Conversion of
Saint Paul is
traditionally identified with a small
This area was administered from the city of Quneitra. This was an important Ottoman Caravanserai on the silk route. It was, thus, a flourishing and prosperous human settlement. In modern times, the entire area of Golan Heights, as a part of the Syrian nation was administered from Quneitra.
In the 1967 war, Israel occupied Quneitra. However, in the 1973 war, it was taken back into Syrian territory. Before being forced to leave the area, in June 1974, Israel systematically destroyed the city with everything moveable removed and sold to Israeli contractors. The empty buildings were razed to the ground with tractors and bulldozers. Quneitra now lies in the demilitarised United Nations Disengagement Observer Force (UNDOF), a buffer zone between Syria and Israeli-occupied lands. The UN General Assembly in 1974 through resolution 3240 overwhelmingly condemned the Israeli destruction.
Though we have been extending support to the Palestinian struggle and participating in solidarity actions against Israeli occupation, it is only when one visits the occupied territories does one realise the depth of Israeli inhuman barbarity. The destroyed hospitals and churches are testimony to such inhuman callousness which has to be seen to be believed.
We participated at a unique public meeting across barbed wire fences at Eim at Teene, a few kilometers away from Quneitra. On this side we stood with microphones and loud speakers and, on the other side, collected were comrades from the occupied land belonging to the Communist parties of Syria, Palestine and Israel. Alternatively, leaders would be speaking from both sides which could be heard on both sides. As considerable distance separated these two gatherings which was part of a single solidarity meeting binoculars were provided which enabled many of us to see the impressive size of the number of people gathered in the occupied territory protesting against Israel.
Soon after its illegal occupation, Israel sought to force the Syrian citizens to embrace Israeli citizenship. Many protest actions against this move were conducted despite very cruel and inhuman attacks by Israeli authorities which included shoot at sight, curfews and imprisoning. The Syrian defiance continued for fifteen years when in April 1982, Israeli soldiers in a situation of 24-hour curfew went door to door confiscating Syrian ID cards and replacing them with Israeli citizenship cards. This caused an international outcry reflected in two condemnatory UN resolutions. Finally, Israel was forced to relent and permit the retention of Syrian citizenship by the population in the occupied areas.
As elsewhere in the occupied territories, Israel immediately started establishing `illegal settlements'. By 1970, there were 12 Jewish settlement on the Golan and by 2004, there were 34 such settlements populated by nearly 20,000 Israeli Jews. The largest Jewish settlement in all of the occupied territories, including the West Bank and Gaza, is in this area in the town of Katzrin built in the 1970s on the site of the ruins of the Katzrin Ancient Village.
From Quneitra, we visited the Khan El Sheikh refugee camp which was built by the United Nations and is home for over a lakh of Palestinians displaced from their homes due to Israeli atrocities and occupation. A public meeting was held here where we all expressed our solidarity with the Palestinians. The expressions on the faces of young children while showing, on the one hand, that the human spirit lives on despite unheard of atrocities, on the other, also showed the determination that Israeli efforts to subjugate the Arab people and deny the Palestinians their legitimate homeland will not be allowed to pass. This visit was truly an eye opener. This abominable gigantic imperialist conspiracy to deny the Palestinians their legitimate right to a homeland on the basis of inhuman crimes and atrocities unheard of in modern times since the Second World War's fascist crimes needs to be condemned and defeated by all those who cherish basic human values of life and liberty.